Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, July 20, 2012

Funny how life happens

I met a man today.  He lives in a prominent spot in town but I've only seen him twice in four years and I have NEVER seen his wife.

Today I met them both and sat with them at their dining table drinking coffee, chatting and sharing life stories.

I was pedalling past his house, as I have done, almost every day for 3 years.  He happened to be leaning out of his second storey window, looking at his back garden.

As I looked up and raised my hand to wave (which I have never done with him previously), the wind blew the hat from my head and I was forced to stop the trike to retrieve it.  I don't recall ever losing my hat while riding my trike and this is a very windy town!

It may sound weird to some of you, but I feel like it was one of those 'had to happen' moments - like the universe planned it this way.  (I can imagine some of you rolling your eyes or sniggering disbelievingly at my suggestion)

That was when he noticed my camera and he asked what sort of things I photographed.  When I told him 'mostly birds', he began to tell me about a Sun Bird that flies into his garden sometimes and in the middle of the conversation, he decided to come downstairs to chat.

He invited me back within the hour to have a look at his garden and so I returned, met his wife and spent ninety minutes getting to know them.

An amazing man.  An amazing woman.

He specifically asked me not to share information about him to anybody outside my close family circle, so even though I am bursting to tell you all about him and my experience with him today, I cannot.

I will be going back to learn more and to take photos, some of which, I WILL be able to share, so watch this space!

Prior to meeting this man, I had an interesting time down at the beach ...

These two were building a nest - and they nested in the same spot last year!
This guy was very wary of me and it wasn't long til ...
... he took off with his fish!
There are lots of big birds around at the moment.  I'm having a field day!  Getting lots of exercise as I fruitlessly chase the kites and eagles across town on my trike, waiting for them to come down low enough for me to get a shot!

Sometimes I get to the right spot, but can't get my camera ready quick enough.  Sometimes I carry my camera while I pedal, but the birds swoop into the water before I can even stop the trike!

Honestly, if someone followed me around with a video camera, they would probably get some funny footage!

I was very happy with today's effort!

I'm off to watch the footy with Adoring Husband now.

Nite all.

No comments: