Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, March 28, 2011

If it's Gunna Happen ....

It's been an interesting day.

Adoring Husband gently woke me this morning just after 6am,  with a big smile on his face and invited me to play golf.

My friend, 'Woman of Many Talents', who is my usual golfing buddy on Monday mornings, is away in Melbourne at the moment, so after our successful Friday golfing jaunt, Adoring Husband decided we should do it again.

He came home with the same number of golf balls that he arrived with, but that's only because he found two golf balls that belonged to other people, after he had lost two of his own!

That familiar cracking sound of ball against tree was ringing loudly again, as was the familiar sight of male searching for lost ball.  Again, we had good shots and bad shots and Adoring Husband got a birdie on the 8th hole, for which he received a well deserved high five!

He struggled to finish nine holes with his dodgy back, but we made it intact.

On the way home, we stopped to buy some lotto tickets and while in the newsagents, Adoring Husband surprised me with a couple of photography magazines.  Inside one of those was a competition!  Suddenly I'm inspired to go online and find all the current photography competitions across the Universe!

In the meantime, Adoring Husband drove into The Bay to buy some straw and other such goodies for the Lovely Laying Chookies.  Upon his return, and while tending to the chooks, he accidentally kicked his toe on the wheel barrow and lifted a toe nail.  ***squirm***

Blood smearing all over his thong (once again, it's the thong on his foot, not on his butt) and the toe nail hanging by a thread and all MY nerves rising to the surface and me feeling nauseas, squeezing my eyes shut so that I don't have to look!  Ugh!

So his golf day tomorrow is now cancelled because he can't walk properly!

Now it's time to prepare dinner.  Sushi tonight.  It's the first time we've attempted to make sushi.  I prepared the rice earlier and together we sit either side of the kitchen bench with our sushi roasted seaweed sheets and our bamboo sushi mats and make our own sushi rolls to cut later.

Adoring Husband squeezes Wasabi paste onto his rice in a long thick line from end to end (if you've tasted wasabi, you know what's coming!) and then adds prawns, smoked salmon and avocado.  I use crab meat, avocado, carrot, cucumber and shallots.  Then I make another one replacing the crab with prawns.

Into the fridge they go for a couple of hours and we will cut them just before we eat them.  Let's relax on the couch for a while!  Down he sits and 'bang' he knocks his sore toe on the footrest.  Phwoar!  That takes his breath away!  He wonders out loud if perhaps he has broken his toe!

Two hours later, with a bowl of sushi soy sauce and a bowl of pickled ginger, we cut our sushi and arrange them beautifully on the platter.  Adoring Husband takes a bite of his first piece of sushi and immediately, his eyes and nose begin to water and he coughs and splutters and runs to the fridge for a bottle of water.

Woops!  Too much wasabi on his sushi!

So, I generously offer half of my sushi, but he refuses stating "No!  I made the mistake!  I will eat my own!"  Three bottles of water later, he had eaten over half of his sushi and finally conceded defeat, concerned that he would make himself sick.

I can't even imagine how hot that must have been... but this has been a typical day in Adoring Husband's life and ... if it's gunna happen, it's gunna happen to Adoring Husband!

2 comments:

Basa said...

Adoring Husband takes no responsibility for the above Blog - Ther facts have obviuosly been overstated by my GW! PS I also got a par !!!!

Basa said...

AH can actually spell - it was my typing that let me down:(